Page by page instructions for Online Business License Renewals
This guide has been provided to assist you with renewing your Santa Monica Business License online. To complete the online renewal process, gather your Renewal Notice or your renewal email, any supplemental forms included with your renewal notice, and your gross receipts information from the preceding calendar year (January 1 through December 31). If this is your time renewing, refer to the back of your Renewal Notice to determine your reporting period. Be prepared to complete the online renewal in its entirety, as once you have begun the online renewal process, you cannot save and come back to it later.
For this section you will need your renewal notice or your renewal email. Your business license number and PIN are located in the body of your renewal email and on the upper right of your renewal notice. (See example)
- Enter the code shown on the page in your browser. (See the example shown here)
- Enter your account number shown on your business license renewal notice.
- Enter the PIN shown on your business license renewal notice.
- Click on "Find License"
For this section you will need any supplemental form(s) included with your renewal notice or renewal email in addition to any updated information related to your business, including owner information.
- Verify that all of your account information is current and correct.
- If any information is incorrect, stop and visit the Change or Update Information page for more information.
- Enter any information that is blank.
- Upload completed and signed copies of any supplemental forms that are required. (The required forms are included with your renewal notice.)
- Click on "Save & Continue"
- Verify that all of your contact information is current and correct.
- If any information is incorrect, click on "edit" and update the information.
- Once updated, click on "Save Owner".
- When you are done updating your contacts, click on "Done with contacts, go to next step"
For this section, you will need your gross receipts information (line 2 on your renewal notice) and the number of employees working at this location (line 1a on your renewal notice).
- Use the worksheet on back of your renewal notice to determine the reporting period and calculate your Santa Monica gross receipts.
- Enter your Santa Monica gross receipts.
- Enter the number of employees that work four or more hours at this location.
- Click on "Continue"
The system will calculate the tax, assessments, fees (and penalties if any) for you and give you a total balance due.
- Verify that the information you entered is correct. If not, click on the back button on your browser and edit appropriately.
- Digitally sign the form as instructed.
- Enter your name and your phone number.
- Click on "Continue".
For this section, you will need your payment type and information.
- Enter the email address you would like your e-receipt sent to.
- Select your payment method from the drop down menu.
- Enter your payment information.
- Click on "Submit Payment".
For eChecks, be sure to enter the routing number and account number located on your check.
For credit cards, enter all of the billing information requested.