Licensees are required to notify the Business License unit of any changes to their business that affects their license. Some changes may have little impact on the business license while others may require additional fees or a new application. If you have a current Santa Monica business license and any of the changes below have occurred, please complete the appropriate change of information form:
- Change of legal entity name or DBA
- Expand or change locations
- Update or change to entity owners/officers
- Updated existing business activity (i.e. a restaurant adding live entertainment to their current operations)
- Updated contact information (telephone number, email address or mailing address)
Change of Information Forms
If you have a current Santa Monica business license and any changes have occurred, please complete the appropriate change of information form:
Changes that may require a new application
Business licenses are not transferable and certain changes may require that a new business license be obtained. The following changes are examples of situations which require a new application be filed with the Business License unit:
- Change in legal entity, (i.e. change from sole proprietor to corporation)
- Add an additional business activity
- Purchase of an existing business
APPLY for a new business license
Changes that may require additional forms & payment
If your physical location in the City has changed, download and complete the applicable form(s) below and return with payment indicated on the form(s).
- Commercial Zoning Conformance Review and Industrial Wastewater Permit
- Residential Zoning Conformance Review
DOWNLOAD FORMS and supplemental documents
When a business is sold, closed, or has moved out of the City of Santa Monica, the Business License Office must be notified. Additional business license tax, assessments, fees, and penalties may apply depending on the expiration date of the current license and the date the business ceased operations in Santa Monica.
Close your business:
To close your business online, you will need your Web PIN. To close your business by mail, email, fax or in person, complete the Closure Form and return it.
NOTE: The Finance Department reserves the right to verify the information provided and should a determination be made that the business is still in operation in the City of Santa Monica, a business license will be required, and all appropriate taxes, fees, and penalties will be due.