The City of Santa Monica recognizes that the COVID-19 pandemic and recent civil unrest have created unprecedented challenges for many local businesses. We are working diligently to facilitate the reopening of our business community. Our Santa Monica Economic Task Force has and continues to create viable solutions to aid in rebuilding a sustainable local economy with direct relief support for our businesses.
If your business was directly impacted by these events and you are unable to make your business license payment by the August 31, 2020 deadline, below are programs available to assist qualifying businesses.
Interest-Free Payment Plan
Taxpayers who are physically located in Santa Monica can take advantage of an interest-free business licenses tax payment plan for balances owed up to $100,000. All payment plans must be paid in full by July 2021 to qualify.
- Business directly impacted by COVID-19 or the civil unrest
- Must submit tax information (with no payment) with the extension request form on or before August 31, 2020
- Total amount due does not exceed $100,000
- Download and complete the Payment Plan Request Form above
- Submit with your 2020-21 Business License Renewal by mail or email to Business.License@smgov.net on or before August 31, 2020
For information on Interest-Free Payment Plans for Parking Facility Tax or Transient Occupancy Tax, please contact the City’s Treasury office at Treasury@smgov.net.
Business License Penalty Waiver
Taxpayers may be eligible for relief or reduction of any late payment penalties assessed on their business license accounts. To request a reduction of penalties assessed, provide the reason for the request in writing by completing the form below.
- Download and complete the Penalty Waiver Request Form above
- Submit to the Business License office by mail or email to Business.License@smgov.net
For additional information and resources available in response to COVID-19 and the civil unrest, please visit the City’s Economic Recovery page at https://www.santamonica.gov/economicrecovery.