Introduction & Overview
The Budget Task Force, comprised of eight community members and seven members from the city workforce, will advise the City Manager on options and priorities for addressing the City's projected budget shortfalls over the coming six years. The City Manager appointed each Budget Task Force Member.
Goals for the Budget Task Force Include:
- Ensure City can continue to provide excellent service and safety to the community.
- Help the City maintain fiscal balance in a changing economy.
- Recommend a budget reduction plan that allows the City to eliminate the threat of unfunded pension liability through an accelerated 13-year pay-down of our unfunded pension liability, currently estimated at $448 million and save the City $106 million over 30 years.
After receiving an overview of the City’s budgetary framework, constraints and proposed budget efficiency/reduction measures, the Budget Task Force will evaluate ideas generated by City Departments and make recommendations for:
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021: $1.5 million in budget reductions
- Fiscal Years 2021-2025: A minimum of $2.5 million in reductions
Budget Task Force meetings are open to the public, and will be held at the dates and times shown below. We will post the agendas and materials 72 hours in advance of each meeting, consistent with the Brown Act.
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings will take place at the Santa Monica Institute (SMI) meeting room at 6:00pm. Detailed directions to the SMI Meeting room and other locations are below the table.
|November 4, 2019||
Introduction & Citywide Budget Overview
|November 18, 2019||
|December 2, 2019||
Waived Application Fees
Downtown Parking Structure Grace Period
January 13, 2020
(Ken Edwards Center)
|January 27, 2020||
Naming Rights/ Sponsorships
|February 3, 2020||
Resourcing for City Events
Paramedic Assesment Fee
|February 24, 2020||
Decision Making & Wrap Up
PLEASE NOTE: Meeting topic dates may shift, please refer to this page for the most up to date information.
Santa Monica Institute (SMI) Meeting Room
Santa Monica Civic Center Parking Structure
330 Olympic Drive
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Meetings: 11/04, 11/18, 12/2, 1/27, 2/3, 2/24
Budget Task Force Members
- Judy Abdo, former Mayor
- George Brown, retired attorney
- Janine Bush, business and human resources consultant
- Laurence Eubank, neighborhood leader
- Ina Godoy, Assoc. Dir. of Finance & Business at UCLA
- Dominic Gomez, retired telecommunications CEO
- K. John Lee, former CPA, now green building contractor
- Kimberly Ong, managing engineer for Purple Line at Metro
- Brandi Lockhart, HED
- Dominick Bei, Fire
- David Nanjo, BBB
- Jeremy Peterson, CMO
- Concepcion Rechtszajd, CCS
- Matt Rice, Police
- Phillip Ticun, Public Works
City Staff Liaisons
- Brian Mondragon, Stephanie Lazicki-Meyer